Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Internship Report!

I thought I should let everyone know how things have been going on the internship. This update will be in two parts: an update on my work with Next Step and a report on how things are going with Lutherans for Life.

Part 1- Next Step

Its is hard to believe that I only have six full work days left at Next Step! The summer has gone by so quickly! I cannot even begin to describe how much I have learned in the past nine weeks or how encouraged I have been by the words and directions of the staff at the clinic. Nancy, Kathy, Mary, Laverna, Beth, Catherine, Denise, and all the other volunteers have truly been an inspiration to me!

Besides my day to day activities at the clinic, I have had several education experiences in the last few weeks. I have now presented at the Newman Center at the University of Washington for their Respect Life group twice. The first presentation was more of an informational question and answer session about my experiences at the Coalition for Life and how college students can get involved in the pro-life movement. The second presentation was a viewing of the Unplanned documentary. I briefly introduced the film and then gave a short speech on my experiences and how much of an impact students can make in their communities for Life. Over 40 people showed up for the movie and everyone in attendance seemed very enthusiastic about getting involved in 40 Days for Life and volunteering at local clinics. I think that this opportunity was a great start to a pro-life presence at the University of Washington.

I have also gained a greater respect in the last week for our volunteers who actually counsel abortion-minded women. I spoke with an abortion-minded client over the phone for the first time last week and, I have to admit, I was terrified throughout the entire conversation. In my limited exchange with her, I felt the full weight of the life-or-death conversation that was taking place. I was silently praying the whole time. I was able to convince her to schedule an ultrasound, but she did not show up for her appointment and we haven't had any contact with her since. I am still praying for her as she makes her decision and hope that she tries to contact us again.

Part 2- Lutherans for Life

I was officially elected into the National Board of Directors at the LFL conference last week in Dallas. I am extremely excited to begin working with this wonderful group of men and women. I am serving on the Generations for Life committee, working to recruit young people for Life, and the Development committee, working on fundraising and grant writing. Both committees are in such different areas, but I am excited to help in any way I can.

I was extremely blessed to finally meet Karen last week at the conference. She was my first contact with the organization back in high school when I started the Facebook cause page. She and I had remained in touch via Facebook the last few years, but this was the first time we had met in person. She was just as wonderful in person as she was online and I am so excited to get to work with her at LFL. Karen was not the only person I met who was an encouragement to me. There were so many delightful people at the conference! Almost everyone I met was passionate about Life and diligent in their efforts to help the church navigate Life issues. Everything about the week confirmed for me my calling to continuing working in the pro-life movement. I am so excited for the future and cannot wait to see what God has in store for me next!

Karen and me!




No comments:

Post a Comment