Friday, July 13, 2012

Focusing on blessings, instead of frustrations...

This post won't be super long, but I felt compelled to write this morning for some reason. I woke up and did my daily morning facebook sweep. First thing I saw, it was Friday the 13th. I am not a superstitious person at all, so the date only mildly amused me. Then I remembered that it was National Cow Appreciation Day, where you get free Chick-fil-a when you dress like a cow. That made me very excited. Then I thought a little bit about my day. Even though it is the "unluckiest" day of the year, I felt incredibly blessed. I am at a conference for Lutheran For Life this weekend, so I get to spend my entire day telling people about the incredible gift of Life and about the best way to share this message with youth. That is awesome. Then, I get to see my best friends and dress up like cow in order to get free food. That is less awesome but still pretty cool.

The next thing I saw almost made me forget these blessings for a second. I do not normally post about political things, but I have to say, it was a political ad posted by a college friend that attempted to derail my happy mood this morning. This ad was bashing a candidate by saying he didn't care about the people who couldn't sleep because they were worried about their healthcare. Immediately my mind jumped to "Do you know who else can't sleep? The millions of unborn babies who were murdered because of your candidate's policies!" I was almost tempted to write this on the post. I wanted to ask this person why people ignore the big picture. Why do they forget that while things such as healthcare and the economy are greatly important and need to be discussed, they are only a symptom of a greater problem: a society (and a government) that completely disregards human life unless they deem it valuable enough to care. I wanted to open my hotel window and scream it to the masses. Then I wanted to crawl back into bed and cry a bit.

I was about to start this depressing chain of events when I saw my own previous post on facebook, the one that talked about how blessed I was to talk about Life and dress like a cow and have awesome, amazing friends. I saw that post and I realized that screaming about injustice doesn't solve any problems. Starting pointless political debates on facebook that go absolutely nowhere doesn't solve anything. Focusing on all the people who are clueless and misguided about Life and national priorities really doesn't solve anything either. The only thing that will solve this problem is God and the loving message of His Gospel. I AM blessed that I get to share that message everyday. I am blessed that I get to live out that message with my friends and family and all the people I love. I am blessed to know that no matter what the world might say or do, I have the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His love for me on my side. So, instead of ranting about what people are wrong about, I am going to go stand at my booth today and tell people how much Jesus loves them and how much Jesus loves Life. Then, I am going to watch them tell their youth this same message. Finally, I am going to watch these youth change the world by loving the world. I think that's a much better plan, don't you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment